Spanish teachers struggle with room sharing

[Teachers who share classrooms] have an opportunity to observe how teachers in different classrooms utilize their space.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Amara Del Prato, Entertainment Editor

Since the beginning of the school year, the Spanish department has been sharing rooms due to lack of classrooms and increase in student population. Bear Creek High School currently has just under 2,000 students — nearly twice the number of students who were enrolled in 1991, the year the school opened.

After months of sharing rooms, the Spanish teachers have adjusted accordingly, but some teachers admit they are uncomfortable with the change.
Spanish teacher Andres Gil has to rotate classrooms three times a day, and says the minutes he has to spend setting up for each class can add up, especially for teachers like himself who try to make use of every second of class.

“If you really teach bell to bell, you lose instructional time,” Gil said.
If the lack of classrooms continues to be a long term problem, Gil suggested that a portable classroom might be a practical purchase, but only if financially viable.

“[Teachers who share classrooms] have an opportunity to observe how teachers in different rooms utilize their space” – teacher Joshua Kwon in his article ‘Should All Teachers Have Their Own Classrooms”

According to the website Public School Review, Bear Creek’s student population has increased by six percent since 2013. If the school continues to grow at this rate, it is likely that more classrooms are going to be filled up, and that more teachers might have to share classrooms in the future.

A portable classroom would allow the Spanish teachers to keep all of their supplies — from pizarritas to pencils — within reach, which they say is incredibly important to their teaching process.

“Good teachers use props,” Gil said. His students regularly do activities on pizarritas (whiteboards), and the walls of his shared classroom are covered in colorful student projects that required a plentiful supply of colored pencils.

However, there are some benefits to sharing classrooms with other teachers, especially if both teach the same subject.

“[Teachers who share classrooms] have an opportunity to observe how teachers in different rooms utilize their space,” teacher Joshua Kwon says in his article “Should All Teachers Have Their Own Classroom?” Kwon claims that sharing classrooms can also help teachers learn from one another and build upon their own teaching styles.

Although she agrees this could be true, Spanish teacher Maria Robledo says that the Spanish teachers were already a tight-knit group before they had to share their classrooms.

“We’re a really, really, good department,” Robledo said. “We’re always trying to help each other. So, if someone does an activity, that person will share it with [everyone else]. We share everything we do together.”

About the Writer
Amara Del Prato, Co-Opinion Editor, Staff Writer

Amara (Anara) Del Prato plays golf during her free time and saves from Journalism plights. She attended the November 2018 Journalism Convention in Chicago...