Streaming services replace traditional TV

Infographic by Devyn Inong

Infographic by Devyn Inong

Jasmine Castillo, Opinion Editor

This generation eschews traditional TV services and instead prefers to utilize technology to cater to their entertainment needs. Streaming services that provide TV shows, movies and music are highly popular among teens, sparking competition between companies to create the best streaming choice.
Due to its swift marketing skills, one of the most well-known streaming media platforms for cinema is Netflix. Netflix currently offers three different plans that are meant to benefit a variety of consumers, such as adults, teens and children.
The basic streaming plan allows one person per account to view at one time with a standard definition (SD) resolution and costs $9 a month. The standard streaming plan allows two people per account to view during the same time with a high definition (HD) resolution and is offered for $13 a month. The premium streaming plan allows four people per account to view during the same time with an HD and Ultra HD resolution, which costs $16 a month.
Hulu is Netflix’s biggest competitor due to its unique shows and live TV options. Hulu additionally offers many different customization options, such as DVR and TV channels including HBO and Showtime, which are not offered with Netflix.
Hulu’s basic plan, which is offered at a new price of $5.99 a month, still includes advertisements during small portions of TV shows and movies. Other Hulu plans include advertisement-free for $11.99 monthly and live TV for $44.99 monthly.
To spur competition, Hulu recently announced that it was dropping the price of their cheapest streaming plan beginning February 26 ー Netflix, on the other hand, raised prices by $2 for all plans. By dropping the price of the basic plan, Hulu hopes to gain more viewers than Netflix.
Since students have little leisure time because of homework, clubs and sports, many heavily rely on streaming platforms for relaxation due to their easy and efficient use.
“I believe Netflix is better because there are many shows that I prefer that Hulu does not supply… such as Friends and The Office,” sophomore Elliot Fry said.
Sophomore Jonni Fenton disagrees with Fry, saying there are far more downsides to Hulu than Netflix.
“Hulu has commercials,” Fenton said. “If you were to watch a TV show, every couple of minutes a commercial pops up, and it’s just an inconvenience.”
Besides cinema-streaming platforms, students also heavily depend on music-streaming services to get through their day.
Spotify is one of the highest grossing music streaming platforms due to its unique algorithms which provide a personalized experience for the listener. Spotify can be downloaded for free; however, users can choose to purchase Spotify Premium, which offers adless streaming, the ability to listen offline, earlier access for new releases, unlimited skips and direct song selection. Spotify Premium can be purchased for $9.99 per month.
Some Apple users are hesitant to purchase Spotify Premium due to Apple Music, another popular music-streaming platform. Although Apple Music is only available on Apple devices, it is still one of the highest grossing music-streaming platforms with more than 30 million subscribers. Apple Music can be purchased for $9.99 per month for an individual plan or $14.99 for a six-person family subscription.
Like video streaming services, students have their favorites when it comes to music options.
“I like Apple Music a lot because it is very simple to use,” Fry said. “It doesn’t take me long to find the song I am looking for with Apple Music.”
Sophomore Natalia Urea disagrees, saying Spotify Premium has more benefits.
“While using Apple Music, you cannot listen to music for a long period of time, but while using Spotify Premium, you can listen to music without Wi-Fi for a very long time,” Urea said. Apple Music requires each individual song to be downloaded in order to listen offline.
Overall, the debate between streaming platformsーwhether it be music or TVー is still ongoing due to the different benefits each one has to offer, as well as personal preference.