Marajuana is a new major at uni

Jasmine Castillo, Opinion Editor

Ever wondered how to harvest marijuana at its peak potency? There’s a class for that. Some colleges are offering marijuana-themed courses and majors in order to satisfy the explosive marijuana growing business. With the legalization of medical marijuana in 35 states, many have began to approve of its recreational use.
Northern Michigan University is a prime example of a college that is taking advantage of legal medical marijuana use. The university began offering a course named Medical Plant Chemistry Seminar.
In this course, students learn laws behind medical plant use as well as chemical compositions that may replace certain prescription drugs such as anti-inflammatories and pain relief drugs like ibuprofen. Additionally, students present projects and listen to speakers who have dealt firsthand with medical plant use.
“The idea for the program came a few years ago, when officials at NMU asked faculty to come up with ‘futuristic leading-edge academic majors,” Chemistry Department Head Mark Paulsen said in an interview with “Market Watch.”
As of January, Northern Michigan University had successfully launched its third year of Medical Plant Chemistry Seminar with a total of 280 students registered. Other colleges such as Stockton University ‘located in New Jersey’ and the University of California-Davis offer marijuana-related courses.
Closer to have, Davis offers courses that relate to marijuana as well, including a philosophy course that teaches the health effects, risks, and benefits of cannabis for recreational and medical use.
UC Davis successfully launched the course in 2017 and is currently being renewed for its third year.
Students have mixed opinions while discussing marijuana-courses and majors due to the multitude of arguments that can be made for each controversial view point.
“It’s just like any other medical class,” sophomore Chyna Ojeda said. “Students could use this course in the medical field; however, it could easily be abused.”
Others say they support the idea of the teaching of marijuana at the high school level.
“It would be helpful if it came to high schools because then kids could understand the different effects of marijuana,” junior Zach Dempsey said.
Some agree with Dempsey, saying that schools should show the different effects that marijuana can cause for individuals who take certain dosages, whether it be medically or recreationally.
“As long as this course is taught in a way where they talk about the effects of it I think it’s fine,” sophomore Christian Luchetta said. “Yeah, I would be all right if the course was offered here; I’m not sure I would take it personally, but I’m sure there are a lot of people here who would be interested in that.”