Disney remakes: uninspired imitation or creative sequel?

Devyn Inong, Feature Editor

Disney Remakes, Inong
Ask anyone at Bear Creek what their favorite movie was as a child, and most will say it was a Disney movie. But now, the childhood classics that everyone knows and loves are getting ready to grow up too.
Disney has recently debuted a variety of sequels for many of the franchise’s original box office hits like “Mary Poppins,” “Finding Dory” and “The Incredibles.” However, these follow-up films have earned mixed reviews on their quality, plotline and enjoyability.
“I feel like the cartoon [sequels] are too childish,” sophomore Sidney Banks said. “I feel like it just gets boring. ‘Incredibles 2’ was more for the people that watched the first [‘Incredibles’] that are older now, so it wasn’t as enjoyable for younger kids to watch.”
On the other hand, some believe that producing sequels for original movies preserves the magic of the film, enabling future generations to enjoy the same story in enhanced quality. Take the recent sequel “Mary Poppins Returns” as an example.
“[Disney] did a wonderful job reworking the music and creating new songs and new experiences,” junior Eyan Atad said. “Whoever got to experience [the original film] when they were little gets to show [the sequel] to their kids or even their grandkids.”
Besides the sequels, Disney has also released live action remakes of classic animated films, such as “Cinderella” (2015) and “Beauty and the Beast” (2017).
Some disapprove of Disney’s choice to make these live action remakes because they take away from the nostalgic elements of the original movies. In the live action remake of “The Jungle Book,” the character Shanti — Mowgli’s love interest — is not included. In the upcoming “Aladdin” remake, the Genie — originally voiced by Robin Williams — is played by Will Smith.
“‘Aladdin’ seems kind of sucky,” junior Mikaila Aban said. “The Genie is not the Genie. [Will Smith] is not the original, so it’s just not the same.”
Because of the large profit margins that remakes bring, it’s likely to assume that Disney will continue to make more live-action remakes of animated classics and sequels to past family-favorites — despite the variety of mixed opinions the movies receive.