Girls make BCHS basketball history

lady Bruins qualify for State Regional Finals, losing after the fourth round

Lilly Lim, Sports Editor

Bear Creek’s Girls Basketball team has achieved many historical milestones in an unforgettable season. From three players scoring a total of 1,000 points to going to State Regional Finals, the future of the Girls Basketball program is encouraging.
The team started attracting attention when senior Deyliana Lewis was the first student in Bear Creek history to score a total of 1,000 points throughout her career.
*insert quotation from Lewis*
A couple of weeks later, senior Sarah Ruiz and sophomore Mya Blake followed the footsteps of Lewis, each scoring over 1,000 points. The three athletes’ accomplishments became a precursor to the team’s momentous season.
“I felt content knowing that I was one of the few [students] that hit my 1,000-point milestone at Bear Creek,” Ruiz said. “I wanted to make it for my dad, who passed away.”
“[Scoring 1,000 points] was a big accomplishment,” Blake said. “I was proud of myself, and if it wasn’t for my teammates, that wouldn’t have happened.”
The Girls Basketball team went undefeated in league, leading them to compete for the San Joaquin Section title against St. Mary’s High School at the Golden 1 Center. Unfortunately, the team lost *score* but returned to Bear Creek with their heads held high. Soon after, Bear Creek hosted the Division One Girls Basketball Northern California Semi-Final game against Antelope High School.
The team ended the season at the State Regional Finals against Bishop O’Dowd High School.
“Our basketball season was a roller coaster,” Lewis said. “There were plenty of ups and downs, but all-in-all, we fought until the final buzzer of every game no matter who we were playing, and that’s what got us to the Nor Cal Championship.”
With so many milestones achieved, the class of 2019 leaves with a memorable Girls Basketball season.
“Regardless of how [the season] ended, we made history — not only for our school but for Stockton,” Ruiz said. “We accomplished what three years ago would have been unrealistic for our program. There’s not another group of girls I would have rather done this with; they’re the reason this season was so special. We all knew we had to play for one another and buy into what was best for the team if we wanted to be successful.”