Trump and FDA ban flavored e-cigarettes after recent deaths

Akayla Jones, Staff Writer

Although some had hoped this generation would be the first to end cigarette use, many teens have found themselves hooked on smoking new products — vapes. Despite being prohibited on campus, some teens admit they have already developed an addiction.

Reported incidents of teens and young adults being hospitalized in different states after using e-cigarettes or vaping have risen in the past year, and at least 22 people from ages 17-38 have experienced respiratory illness after using e-cigarettes or vaping according to “The New York Times.” Symptoms include coughing, shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting and diarrhea.

Officials reported in August that a teen who had recently used e-cigarettes was hospitalized with severe illness and died. Today, a total of six people have passed away due to lung diseases developed from vaping, according to CNN.

“I kind of got addicted,” senior Guy Russo said. Russo admits he’s been smoking for two months and finds the habit difficult to stop, as smoking helps calm his nerves.

“It calms my emotions,” Russo said. “Sometimes, I [get] depressed [and I] smoke the pain away.”

Companies lure in vulnerable teens by offering a variety of vaping flavours. Like kids in a candy store, teens easily take up the e-cigarette — and eventually an addiction to nicotine.

“I started vaping a month ago, [but] I stopped a week ago,” an anonymous senior said. “[My mom] made me stop when she found out.”

Recently, President Trump has decided to work with the FDA on banning flavored e-cigarettes to reduce the e-cigarette epidemic. According to CNBC, FDA commissioner Scott Gottlieb had pushed back e-cigarette reviews to 2022. However, the reviews have been

prioritized to be reviewed in 2020 from concern over the recent deaths and illnesses caused by vapes.

“The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities,” U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. “We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.”

Besides brazenly uploading photos and videos of their usage with e-cigarettes in school, teens can even be seen firing up the e-cigarette while their teachers back is turned.

Senior Nicolas Rodriguez says he feels “intimidated,” when he encounters students in the restroom smoking.

“I feel like administration tries to resolve the problem but they can’t do anything about it,” senior Nicolas Rodriguez said.

Other students do their best to ignore the fumes and plumes of smoke.
“I don’t really care because it’s their business,” junior Denyce Nisihura said. Despite knowing the risks associated with smoking, such as reduced lung growth,

damage to the heart and blood vessels and high risk of future heart disease — teens still continue to smoke.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/11/trump-to-consider-e-cigarette-policy-amid-outbreak-of-lung- disease.html

page2image9777728page2image9766976