Coaches accept athlete body art and tattoos

Eric Evans, Staff Writer

Tattoos are very popular in professional sports. Some of the best athletes such as Steph Curry, LeBron James, Odell Beckham and many others have tattoos.  Curry has a variety of small tattoos that are spread out amongst his body, while players like Beckham and James have their whole upper body covered.

For athletes, tattoos can be a way to stand out from other players.  All athletes have to wear the same jerseys or clothing as other players, so things such as shoes or cleats, haircuts and tattoos give athletes a different look from other players.    

“I think these young kids in high school look up to these players in the NBA and that’s what inspires them to want or to get a tattoo,” head varsity basketball coach Anthony Torres said.

For Bear Creek athletes and their coaches, tattoos don’t seem to be a problem.

“Many football players in the past have had tattoos on our football team, and we even have a few players this year with tattoos,” assistant varsity football coach Tony Gomez said. “The tattoo isn’t negatively affecting how they play, so I have no problem with a player having a tattoo.”

Athletes get tattoos for a number of reasons such as honoring a loved one, representing something significant about that person’s life, or just as a way of showing and expressing what that person likes.

“I have my last name tattooed on my forearm and as I get older I plan on getting more,” varsity football player Othello Contreras, a junior, said.  “I got my tattoo because of a family tradition, we all have one.”

Tattoos can also be a method of intimidation for athletes, especially in sports such as football and boxing where intimidation may give them an advantage.

Overall, tattoos can be used as a way that people express themselves and individuals should not be treated differently because of them of for having them. 

“My coaches have never had a problem with my tattoo,” swim and waterpolo player Taylor Lemon, a senior said. “It’s nice to have coaches that don’t judge me or look at me differently because of something like a tattoo.”

Because Bear Creek does not have a policy restricting or banning tattoos, Bear Creek athletes are free to show parts of themselves drawn in ink  on their bodies.

“I got my tattoo to represent my siblings,” senior Mark Metrovitch said.  “People should be free to express what they want through tattoos.”