CON: Should Students be required to attend rallies?

NO

Back to Article
Back to Article

Leslie Troutman

Leslie Troutman

Leslie Troutman

Bailey Kirkeby, Co Editor-In-Chief

Read the PRO article by Alex Bussey by clicking here.

Shrieking! Games! Students smoking in the back of the bleachers! Ah, yes, everyone’s favorite day of the quarter: rally day.

When local rapper Haiti Babii entered the gym during last year’s “Goodbye Rally,” the rally was promptly cancelled and students were sent back to their sixth period classes due to the crowd’s extreme rowdiness, leading to debates among students regarding whether rallies should be optional.

In recent years, Bear Creek’s rallies have been notoriously unorganized — not because of Student Government and ASB, who work tirelessly to ensure rallies run as smooth as possible, but because of the audience. When roughly 1,000 students are placed in a crowded, musty gym, the likelihood of fights, smoking and other disruptions are relatively high — especially when a portion of the students don’t want to be at the rally.

If rallies were optional, there would undoubtedly be students who opt out of attending. Consequently, those in attendance would actually ​want​ to be there, causing the crowd to be more well behaved and, in effect, allowing the rally to run smoother.

Opponents of optional rallies at Bear Creek often claim that there is nowhere for students to go if they choose to opt out of attending rallies. However, after pondering this issue for a mere two minutes, I have devised a simple solution that is sure to appease the majority of students and staff.

Rallies don’t need to be supervised by every single teacher — especially if rallies are optional, since fewer students would be in attendance. Like students, some teachers also don’t enjoy attending rallies. If students wish to opt out of attending rallies, they can simply stay in their sixth period. If their sixth period teacher wishes to supervise or is involuntarily chosen to supervise a rally, students can go to another teacher’s classroom for the duration of the rally.

Yeah, yeah, sometimes in life you’ll have to attend things that you don’t want to, such as boring business meetings. I know. But forcing students to sit through a high school rally that they don’t want to attend is not going to prepare them for their future careers. Just let people enjoy their high school experience while they can.