CON: Will the new school start times benefit students?

On October 6, California Governor Gavin Newsom signed a new law prohibiting high schools from starting before 8:30 a.m. beginning in the 2022-2023 school year. Pushing back high school start times has been a source of controversy since the suggestion first emerged in the early 1990s, and since then, more and more schools have been shifting start times later.

Lilly Lim, Co-Editor-In-Chief

While sophomores and above will not face the changes brought about by later start time, today’s freshmen will have to deal with these changes in their senior year. Whilethelaw’sintention—allowing students more sleep — is helpful, there will be many issues that will outweigh the positives. One of the biggest concerns is how parents who-drop off their children at school will face conflicts with work.

According to Expert Market, the average worker starts work at 8:24 a.m. If high schools start at 8:30 a.m. but a student’s parent needs to be at work at 8:30 a.m., students will still have to wake up and be dropped off early for their parents to get to work on time. While workplaces may be flexible with parents who have to drop off their children later in the morning, there’s no guarantee that all will be, leaving parents no choice but to drop off their children earlier, and the benefits the law is intended to produce are never experienced by students.

Students in extracurricular activities like clubs or sports will end up starting and ending practices at later times. Therefore, students will end up coming home at later times. Even if parents complain that they want their kids to be home before it gets dark, many coaches won’t comply and will keep the same practice times as before.

No matter what, teachers will still get the same amount of class time and will most likely assign the same workload. If students get home later but still go to sleep at the same time, later school start times will compact the amount of time they have to complete homework.

Requiring schools to start later will create a ripple effect of changes that need to but won’t be made. Despite the good intentions of passing the law, there are fundamental issues that will arise.