Retailers break tradition and open doors on Thanksgiving day

Justine Do-Huynh, Staff Writer

For the first time, major retailers opened stores on Thanksgiving day leaving the traditional “Black Friday” a memory of retail past. According to the article “On Day of Frenzy at the Mall, the Real Fight is Online,” by Paul Ziobro and Suzanne Kapner published in the “Wall Street Journal,” stores such as Macy’s, Target, Best Buy, Toys “R” Us, Wal-Mart, and Kohl’s were all open Thanksgiving day.

Because of this new trend, many families weren’t able to spend as much time together as in past years.

“We don’t really get to celebrate Thanksgiving until three days later because my dad works,” senior Maribel Perez said. “I feel like it takes away from family time. If people really wanted something they’d buy it the week before.”

Even those who do not have family members working on Thanksgiving were concerned about the time spent away from family.

“I care about the workers,” freshman Bea De La Cruz said. “They have families to be with and when they’re working, they’re not with them.”

However, stores staying open on Thanksgiving is a welcome sight to those caught unprepared.

“I like when the stores are open because you can go to the store to buy things when you need them or when you run out of items,” freshman Aleina Doblados said.

Not only were stores opened early, but online shopping deals also began earlier. On November 24, Amazon began giving out daily deals for short periods of time. There has been a major shift from in store shopping to online shopping.

According to Ziobro and Kapner, “Online shoppers accounted for 40% of the 459 billion in sales racked up over the four-day Black Friday weekend last year, up from 23% in 2006.”

Consumers may be unaware that Black Friday deals are not actually deals. Some stores may advertise bargains that, in reality, are not really bargains, once .

According to the article “How to Tell if a Black Friday Deal is a Steal” by Elisabeth Leamy published on ABC News, ”Retailers will actually mark merchandise up just so they can mark it down… you think you’re getting a great deal, but the store’s charging the amount it always wanted in the first place.”

Some students bemoan the fact that retailers have taken the holidays as hostage.

“It’s the time of year that businesses takes advantage of people to make money because stores know people will spend their money,” junior Vivian Le said.

As the years go by, stores have begun to rush their supply of upcoming holiday items. Halloween marks the start of the Christmas season. Some feel the early promotion increases holiday spirit.

“I like it because it gets me in the Christmas spirit,” junior Annie Nguyen said.

However, some argue that early holiday displays ruin the present, as people look too far into the future in anticipation of the next holiday.

“By bringing out all of the Christmas things when it isn’t even December yet makes holidays not as special,” junior Nathan Mao said. “[Stores] make Christmas a big deal but by doing that, Thanksgiving is not as special.”

The main concern is that there is always a lull between the “big” holidays. Stores tend to pay little attention to holidays  that are deemed less important because less money is made during those times.

“Some people care about Christmas more whereas other people focus more on Thanksgiving,” senior Philip Pascual said. “I personally am more family oriented and so I believe that Thanksgiving should be given more attention.”

For some, the holiday  season simply means big sales and new merchandise to buy instead of traditional family time.