CON: Should transgender athletes compete in the category of their preferred gender?

Alex Bussey, Opinion Editor

An ongoing problem in sports today is transgender competitors: What division should they compete in? While there is no easy solution, simply letting transgender athletes compete in the division of their preferred gender is not the answer.

While this stance may seem problematic, it is really in the interest of fairness for all athletes, especially biological females. Biologically, men are stronger than women because they produce more testosterone, which regulates muscle mass. When transgender females (biological males) compete against biological females, they have an unfair advantage simply because of their hormones.

At both collegiate and Olympic levels, transgender women are required to demonstrate testosterone levels low enough to not provide any sort of competitive advantage, and these levels come as a result of hormone replacement treatments.

However, these treatments are not typically started in children under the age of 16, and the hormone replacement process takes time for the full effect to occur, so policies that work at the collegiate and Olympic levels are of little use in high school athletic programs.

In numerous cases, female high school athletes have been at the top of the leaderboard and on track to earn lucrative scholarships, only to have transgender females swoop in and beat them out of awards they would have won.

One example of this phenomenon is in Connecticut where, statewide, transgender high school athletes are permitted to compete in the division that matches their gender identity. According to the Wall Street Journal, “Since Connecticut’s athletic conference enacted its liberal gender-identity policy, two men have won 15 women’s state championships — titles that were held by 10 different Connecticut girls the previous year.” Young women who have worked hard their entire lives for these awards are being robbed of the recognition they deserve for the sake of being inclusive and politically correct.