‘Doing It For the Vine’ is often doing something dumb

Jessica Lee, Sports Editor

Smashing cake onto a policeman’s face, attempting to jump over a car, and smothering oneself with ice cream in a McDonald’s drive-through are all acts done in the name of Vine.

Just recently, Vine has become a viral sensation with over 40 million accounts.  The mobile app allows users to upload six second videos for their “followers,” people who subscribe to their account, to see, like, and “revine.”

The founders – Rus Yusupov, Dom Hofmann and Colin Kroll – had originally created Vine to be a tool that could easily cut and edit video shots.  Eventually, Yusupov, Hofmann, and Kroll saw Vine as a way for people to “see and share life in motion.”

Today, Vine users go beyond capturing moments in their lives and use Vine for a range of reasons.  Some create and upload short skits; others share pranks. Most vines today tend to have one purpose in mind: to entertain.  With entertainment, there is often a fine line between amusing and inappropriate, hilarious and dangerous.

“People sing [on Vine],” freshman Kyra Chhiu-Lim said.  “They dance sometimes.  Sometimes they make videos imitating people.  People do a lot of crazy stuff on Vine, mostly for entertainment.”

Vine user Jerome Jarre is famous for his vine titled “Why is Everybody Afraid of Love?!” where he begins his vine asking that question and, seconds afterwards, he startles a woman by shouting the word love.  Vine user Will Sasso is known for his vines where he’s doing something ordinary and, moments later, he “upchucks” a lemon from his mouth.

Other vines aren’t as appropriate, showcasing actions such as dirty dancing, including “twerking,” “yiking,” and “grinding.”

A variety of trends have risen on Vine,  including “dunk cam” and “smack cam.” Dunk cam is a video where a group of people, each located at different spots, take on different actions while throwing a ball in the air, and the last person with the ball attempts to make it into the designated area.  Smack cam is when someone has a handful of whip cream and he or she slaps someone else on the face with that hand.

Some users take “vining” to the extreme and these vines take a turn toward the dangerous. Vine user Elton Castee piled whip cream onto a homemade, giant paper mache hand and posted a vine showing his friend getting smack cammed quite forcefully. Vine user camshaughnessy created three vines where he and his friends lit themselves on fire and jumped into a pool.

Users have coined the term “Do It For the Vine” for this form of entertainment – twerking, smack cams, and reckless behavior. The term is often used by Vine users as a justification for doing anything, much as the abbreviation YOLO, standing for “you only live once,” was once popular. What some of these Vine users fail to realize is that people really do only have one life.

photo-2PS                        vines02PS

“[These vines are] funny in a comedic kind of way, but if people are doing the most outrageous things and putting themselves in danger, then they shouldn’t be ‘Doing It For the Vine,’” junior Andre Albino said.

“I think they’re really funny,” sophomore Rydell Donato said.  “I’ve never done them but I’d like to [make vines] to get known.”
Senior Jadon Henry and junior Brandon Moss have taken a part of this trend and have made a “Grind on Me” vine, where the two “grind,” in other words, repeatedly do body rolls, on their way down to the floor while the song “Grind With Me” by Pretty Ricky plays in the background.

“We try to get Vine famous,” Henry said.