Netflix, apps help popularize Korean dramas

Google Images

Popular Korean drama "Boys Over Flowers" captures the humor and romance that characterizes many Korean dramas, often moving the audience to tears.

Sophaline Chuong, Staff Writer

In 2012, Korean sensation PSY came out with the hit Gangnam style that took the world by storm with over a billion views on Youtube.  Interest grew not only in the music, but in Korean dramas.

“Kpop makes dramas more known because of idols who act in them,” sophomore Lok Leung said.  “It is becoming more famous around the world.”

Technology has also made Korean dramas become more accessible for foreign fans.

Companies like Netflix added various Korean dramas to their stream and free apps now provide service to the viewers of dramas.

Junior Theresa Gapasin came to know about Korean dramas through the Internet.

“I was watching a Filipino show on Youtube and on the suggestions sidebar was ‘Boys Over Flowers,’” Gapasin said.  “When I saw the title I got curious what it was, so I looked it up on Wikipedia and decided to watch it to see if I would like it.”

Students say that Korean dramas are addictive because of their intriguing plot twists.

“I liked the plot line and the actors were handsome and a lot happens in one episode,” Gapasin said.  “It makes you want to watch more after.”

A show in a whole different language can be difficult to understand, but with high demand for the dramas in foreign countries, subtitles have been added by broadcasting companies and by fans.

Korean dramas, like other TV shows, are comprised of various genres including romantic comedies and historical pieces.

An example of a popular Korean drama, “The First Shop of Coffee Prince,” tells a story about an heir of a food company who is forced to transform an old coffee shop and a boyish woman who is forced to work at the coffee shop as a male.

Love blossoms as they spend more time together and complete their task of changing a filthy coffee shop into a shop fit for princes.

“I have not stopped watching Korean dramas because the stories are too good,” senior Changsen Sim said.

Students say that the difference in social culture attracts them to Korean dramas more than American dramas.

“I think American shows are also appealing and I do watch them,” Deon Tran said. “But Korean drama has those really cheesy moments that can be more relatable than American TV shows that show the drugs, parties, werewolves, and vampires.”

Top rated Korean dramas of 2013 include “I Can Hear Your Voice” and “The Heirs” that captivate their audience with romance.

Korean variety shows and sitcoms are also popular among students, leading some to predict that more culturally different shows will some day play a larger role in American entertainment.