Winter sports update

Lifetouch Photo

Varsity senior Jadon Henry drives toward the hoop and scores over the Lodi defenders. In the end, the Bruins lost the home game to the Lodi Flames, 49-57.

Justine Do-Huynh, Staff Writer

Boys Basketball

The team currently has a season record of 4-2 after a positive preseason record of 13-4. Most notable was the team winning first place in the Ceres tournament in Modesto.

The team’s major competitors are Lincoln and Lodi. Their goal for this season is to win league and make it to playoffs through hard work, determination, and dedication.

“We’re working hard together as a team and things are coming together well,” senior Cameron Alcoriza said. “I think we’ll do well in league.”

In comparison from this season to last season, coach Rod Cortes says nothing much has changed.

“They are harping on the same things and traditions,” Cortes said.  “The only aspect that is different is that they have a new coach. We are still showing what BC family is all about.”

A highlight so far in the season is the team’s away game against Franklin on January 17, where they Bruins defeated the Yellow Jackets 67-58.

“Jadon Henry had two free throws to force an overtime,” junior Peter Ha said. “We all had faith that he would make it, and he did. We won the game.”

Senior Jadon Henry says the team has a lot of people who can contribute to the team with their skills.

“The team is way better than last season,” Henry said. “We have more chemistry.”

However, Henry says that the team tends to settle instead of being aggressive when they need to.

Cortes says that the team is filled with a lot of talented players who are interchangeable. However, they still have to work on sticking together as a team defensively.

Womens Basketball

The team record stands at 4-2 after a 14-3 pre-season record. A pre-season highlight includes their first place win at the Escalon Tournament in Del Campo.

“I was very proud because this is the first time we won in the beginning of the season for varsity,” senior Ashlyn Jones said.

Jones says that the team is working well together.

“I’m really pleased so far with the effort and dedication this year, with the pre-season and upcoming season,” coach Jason Lowrey said. “We have a great group of girls who have been working hard off-season and on-season.”

Junior Macie Linker says the goal this season is to keep working hard, getting better, and doing the best that they can in order to make it to playoffs.

In comparison to last year, Linker says this year has a higher intensity level because of the competition. Furthermore, the extra year of off-season has made a huge difference towards improving goals.

“We have a better bond than last year’s team,” junior Paris Butler said. “We argue at times, but we talk it over and come back together.”

Butler says that the communication between the team is one main strength they have. However, Butler says that attitudes of the girls and making sure that there are no turnovers are a weakness of the team.

Wrestling

The team has made it to the top 12 in every tournament that they have competed in. Individually, players have always made it to finals. At the California Coast Classic at Aptos High School, Bear Creek finished 29 out of 80 teams. The team currently has a record of 3-1.

“I think we’re going to do really well this season because we all work hard to beat the other schools,” sophomore Aaron Rugnao said.

The goal for the team is to win the league dual title. This is the last year where the league teams still include Tracy and Lodi, so the team wants to defeat those teams while they are still in the league.

“I have high expectations because we have a lot of returning members this year and they are all hard working students,” coach Harold Bacich said.

Senior Brandon Gonzalez says a team goal is be better than last year.

“Every day, we work hard to improve on things that need improving,” Gonzalez said. “We care for one another and we stay close.”

The team has had difficulties filling in the upper weight levels. However, Bacich says the lower weight division has a huge range of players who are skilled.

Despite the difficulties, senior Philip Pascual says the team is achieving more goals.

“The team is smaller compared to how it was in the beginning of the year, but the people who stayed are getting better,” Pascual said.