Menil hosts decathlon and heptathlon for Senior Project

Brandon Miramontes, Sports Editor

Senior Clarissa Menil will be hosting a multi-event track and field competition on March 17 for high school athletes from both Bear Creek and Lodi High for her senior project.

The decathlon and heptathlon are two-day track and field contests to ascertain the best all-around athletes, showcasing the both their strength and speed. The decathlon, which includes 10 events, is for men, and the heptathlon, which has seven events, is for women.

On the first day, the decathlon consists of the 100m dash, long jump, shot put, high jump, and the 400m dash. The second day includes 110m high hurdles, discus, pole vault, javelin, and the 1500m run.

For the heptathlon, the first day consists of 100m hurdles, high jump, shot put, and the 200m dash. The second day consists of long jump javelin and the 800m run.

Menil’s interest in hosting a decathlon/heptathlon was sparked by her passion for track and field and knowledge that not many high school athletes are able to compete in them: there are only a handful of decathlons/heptathlons in California.

“I always thought it would be fun and interesting to compete in a [heptathlon],” Menil said. “There is only one other multi-events competition in California besides the one in Arcadia, but these competitions are much too elite for beginning multi-athletes.”

Menil’s goal for her senior project was to create a competition in which beginning multi-events athletes could compete without feeling the pressure of competing against experienced decathletes or heptathletes.

“I wanted to allow interested students in our area to be able to compete in this special event without being discouraged by having to compete in a foreign environment with highly skilled athletes,” Menil said.

To participate in the decathlon/heptathlon each athlete that was asked to participate had to pay a fee of $20. The money will then be used to order medals and t-shirts for the athletes participating in the multi-events.

“I wanted to give something back to the athletes who helped me out with my senior project,” Menil said. “So I decided to use the money to buy custom shirts and medals for the participants.”

Volunteer coaches from the Bear Creek track and field program will help judge each event and assist Menil in calculating each athlete’s score.

The event is free for spectators.